Collection Attempts & Methods
Family Law Lawyers Reno Sparks NV
Divorce Attorneys Nevada, Child Custody Spousal Support Lawyer, Men’s Fathers Rights Attorney
Content below this line is information for staff.
↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔ ↔
COLLECTION ATTEMPTS & METHODS FOR HIGH % COLLECTIONS
1. Use TV ads, website, social media, and social and business networking to earn and maintain an office’s reputation impressing on the public that this is the premier Reno family law office (i.e. don’t expect free or cheap client services).
2. Advertise and network enough to be able to be selective toward letting new clients hire Marilyn.
3. Business Staff: screen during the first contact with would-be Icons. Try to exclude those who won’t pay.
4. Lawyers: screen Icons during the Initial Consult. Try to exclude those who won’t pay.
5. Great Intake forms are screening devices and should obtain copious credit and collection related data.
6. Business Staff: go over completed Intake Forms with client-applicant to insure they are complete and try to better determine his ability to pay. Make assessment note and attach later.
7. A great Retainer Agreement is a great screening device and should obtain copious collection related teeth.
8. Business Staff: screen Icons when explaining retainer agreement as they try to hire Marilyn. Try to exclude those who won’t pay.
9. Initial Retainer should be high enough to help screen clients who can’t pay.
10. Business Staff: use intake sheets, Icon Lawyer feedback, Retainer Agreement Appointment and client credit report to determine Client Applicant’s initial retainer payment and whether a Guarantor is required. Any Guarantor must have a good credit rating and assets or income and ability to pay.
11. Have an Initial Consultation fee high enough to screen out those who won’t pay. MAYBE WE SHOULD RAISE OURS TO $250, WE ARE ELITE!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?
12. Everyone: use and consult the Collection Attempt helper built into ML often on Clients who are behind.
13. Lawyers and Paralegals: insure our Billing, Credit, Debit entries in ML are easy and use them throughout the day. Realize we will never collect all that we bill so bill aggressively.
14. Everyone: get after new clients right away when they get behind; train them or fire them in the first two or three months.
15. Everyone: keep Clients happy so they will pay their bills.
16. Lawyers and Paralegals: Use detailed descriptions when billing and make it as easy as possible for clients to understand their billing so they will pay.
17. Lawyers: get out of cases quickly when it is apparent that the Client will not be able to pay. If clients say they are out of money and can’t pay – believe them and get out. Get out of a few cases yearly.
18. Everyone talk to clients who are behind in paying when any opportunity arises – keep informed by viewing entries in Collection Attempts and make entries of your own.
19. Clients can view/print/pay RSR’s online and they get emailed RSR’s midmonth and end month.
20. Lawyers: make Collection Attempts yourself and also be proactive in asking for help from Marilyn, the assigned Paralegal and the assigned business Staffer.
21. Paralegals: make Collection Attempts yourself and also be proactive in asking for help from Marilyn, the assigned Lawyer and the assigned Business Staffer.
22. Business Staff: make Collection Attempts yourselves and also be proactive in asking for help from Marilyn, the assigned Paralegal and the assigned Lawyer.
23. Lawyers: twice monthly go to ML, Client Analysis, latest “Month and Year”, “All Types”, “Your Namef”, “Update” and sort by “Ending PDUB’s”. Use this list to encourage more Collection Attempts, make more Collection Attempts or fire the client.
24. Chantel and Marilyn: twice monthly go to ML, Client Analysis, latest “Month and Year”, “All Types”, “All Staff”, “Update” and sort by “Ending PDUB’s”. Use this list to encourage more Collection Attempts, make more Collection Attempts or fire the client.
25. Marilyn: use “Debts Written Off sparingly. “Debts Written Off” over $100 need Marilyn’s approval.
26. Marilyn: discounting to get payments helps % collections only if the client would otherwise not pay. Use judgment and restraint in such discounting. Getting a reputation for discounting would not help future collections.
27. Business Staff: take a few clients to Small Claims Court yearly. Lawyers should insist Business Staff follow through with this.
28. Lawyers: fire a few clients yearly to weed out the debtors and show our commitment to great collections. If we can do that, we will automatically be tougher on other would-be debtors and we can enjoy high collections.
Summary: mostly it’s teamwork and team members paying attention to details and keeping on clients to pay – do not be afraid to talk about money with them. By using some or all of the above techniques, lawyers will be able to maintain whatever % collections they seriously want – above 98% is doable. It’s really up to each lawyer.
Charities We Support
Nevada Youth Empowerment Project (NYEP) – http://nyep.org
Truckee Meadows Housing Solutions (TMHS) – https:// truckeemeadowshousingsolutions .org/
Nevada Humane Society – https://nevadahumanesociety. org/
Good Shepherd Clothing Closet – http://www.gsccreno.org/
Res-que – https://res-que.rescuegroups. org/
Lexie’s Gift – https://www.lexiesgift.com/
Solace Tree – http://www.solacetree.org/
The family law and divorce information on this Reno-Sparks, Nevada (NV) website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. We are child custody, visitation, spousal support, and, men’s and fathers’ rights lawyers. We serve Reno, Sparks, Fernley, Fallon, Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Yerington, and Incline Village.